Space Within


The first week's assignment for the Artistic Alchemy class was to create a journal page about our "art space" - that place we go to make art. I can basicaly make art anywhere as long as I have at least a notebook and pen.

But I can't make art unless I've opened up that space within my soul that gives birth to my art. That place is like outer space - as beautiful and mysterious as the stars, as difficult to reach as the moon, as vast as the galaxies.

It is that space that I wanted to convey on this page.

I used a battered 1922 Book of Synonyms for the background epherma, and as I was tearing it up I found the piece that I placed in the bottom corner. It says, "Space is a general term which includes within itself that which infinitely surpasses our comprehension." And part of the epherma that is visible within the silhouette reads, "From within...thou knowest."

I couldn't have found better words if I'd tried!

I'm not thrilled with the piece as artwork - but I love it as expression.

No comments: