SJ Pg 1: This is mine




THE ASSIGNMENT:
Glue random Dictionary or book pages to the first 3 pages in your journal. Start writing on the first page over your dictionary pages. Start with the prompt: “Today I feel…” Dry brush Gesso over all of the writing. Stamp or write “This Book belongs to:” at the top of your page. Write your full name underneath that. Then write it again and again until you have filled the page with your name. (Full instructions at
Caspiana.)


MY PROCESS:
I did my writing first, because I don’t have any Gesso with which to cover it.

For the epherma, I used pages from the short story “
Last Leaf” by O’Henry. The theme of the story emphasizes choices, sacrifice, and the power of art. These are all concepts that I want my art to embody.

I painted the page orange, my favorite colour. (But it dried looking red, unfortunately).

Next I dipped leaves in white paint and pressed them onto the page to further capture the theme of “Last Leaf.” (I think the leaves would have looked better if I’d sponge-painted around the shapes.)

Instead of writing “This book belongs to:”, I wrote, “This ART belongs to:” because I want to claim the whole of my work, not just this part of it. I then wrote my name in different fonts using a white gel pen.


MY THOUGHTS:
I’m disappointed with the way the page turned out because there were so many things that didn’t turn out how I wanted. But I felt inspired and encouraged by the process – taking an abstract concept and giving it reality.


1 comment:

arlene said...

Hi Dale,

Thanks for stopping by my blog, it's so much fun to share!

I like your page a lot. I especially like that you shared your purpose and your process. I know what it's like when something doesn't turn out as we thought it might, but it's gorgeous and powerful the way it is.

Blessings,

arlene in alberta