SJ Pg 3: Grid Collage


THE ASSIGNMENT
Make sure that both pages have a drybrush of Gesso on them. After your Gesso is completely dry I want you to do a light wash of a darker color of Acrylic paint over both pages. We are going to cut [24] magazine images out to be small squares. Attach your squares to your page. Use a grid pattern arranging the images in any order that you like. Add a light color on top of [the dark color]. Now grab a pen or marker and [add words and shapes]. (Full instructions at Caspiana.)

MY PROCESS
I painted a page in a dark grey. While this dried, I looked through magazines for the images. I arranged the images on the dried page, and then sponged around the pictures with violet. Finally, I added the words and shapes.

MY THOUGHTS
I felt like I was obeying instructions without ever grasping a concept. I think this was partly due to the fact that I become very analytical about finding and clipping the pictures. Not just any picture would do…it had to be the “right” one. I actually used a 1” stencil to cut the images exactly right. I couldn’t find any theme or concept in the pictures when arranging the grid. I didn’t “feel” this page at all.

No comments: